I was asked to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting in my Latter-Day Saint ward on June 12, 2016. This was the talk I gave:
My
name is Carissa Davis. My husband Danny and I have been in the ward about 3 ½
years, and we have a 3 year old son. To help in preparing this talk I was given the General Conference talk
A Pattern for Peace by Bishop W. Christopher Waddell from this past General
Conference. As I read and pondered his words and my own life experiences I came
to find that the ultimate source of peace in my life comes from our Savior,
Jesus Christ.
Bishop Waddell says, “In our journey through mortality, as
glorious as our intended destination may be and as exhilarating as the journey
may prove, we will all be subject to trials and sorrow along the way. Elder
Joseph B. Wirthlin taught: “The dial on the wheel of sorrow eventually points
to each of us. At one time or another, everyone must experience sorrow. No one
is exempt.”1 “The Lord in His wisdom does not shield anyone from grief or
sadness.”
Emma Lou Thayne wrote the hymn "Where Can I Turn for Peace" in
1971. In researching her life I found that she had many trials that led her to
seek her own peace in life. She said, “The words to the hymn came for me out of
a troubled time for our family. We had one daughter ill, (I found out her
daughter was actually mentally ill), I was facing a spinal fusion and
interruption of teaching mid-quarter at the University of Utah. My husband was
about to become bishop of a student ward, and 4 daughters were under the age of
17 with busy lives.” Emma Lou knew what it felt like to lack peace.
The first two verses of the song capture what I wish I
convey to you today:
1. Where can I turn for peace?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger, or malice,
I draw myself apart,
Searching my soul?
2. Where, when my aching grows,
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
Where, when I languish,
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand?
He, only One.
Text: Emma
Lou Thayne, b. 1924. © 1973 IRI
Music: Joleen
G. Meredith, b. 1935. © 1973 IRI
He , only one. If you walk away with nothing else from my talk
today, I want you to know that I know that Jesus Christ is the one true source
of peace in this world. He understands every heartache, every sorrow, and
every hard time we have. He understands because of the Atonement. Alma
7:11-12 says “And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of
every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he
will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death,
that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will
take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according
to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how
to succor his people according to their infirmities.” There
is nothing that we can go through that our Savior has not felt Himself. This
has always been comforting to me, but in the last year it has meant the most.
This past year has left me searching for peace as I never
have before. In September 2015 we found out that our 27 week along pregnancy
would be ending. Our daughter Sadie was stillborn soon after. We left the
hospital without a baby. We buried her tiny body in the Bountiful cemetery. We
picked out a headstone. We celebrated her due date a few months later by
visiting her grave. I have cried many, many tears over the past year. I have
been angry, hurt, felt grief like I didn’t know was possible, wondered why this
had to happen, wondered what might have been, and felt incredibly sad.
When I felt the saddest, most broken, and most alone the thing
that helped the most was knowing that Jesus Christ suffered the Atonement not
only for my sins but also so that He would know how to succor and comfort and
bring peace to ME. I have spent many nights in prayer holding onto this truth
and seeking comfort and peace in it.
The hymn says “When other sources cease to make me whole…”
This line from the hymn rings true to me. The world offers many sources of
false peace: drugs and alcohol dull pain but don’t give lasting peace. Other
sources are offered up that might help for a time. Support groups, hospital
staff, books about stillbirth, and online resources were searched out
extensively by me in my yearning for answers and peace. Sometimes these things
helped, and sometimes they increased my anxiety and grief. It was exhausting to
search through all these things! And when I felt like I couldn’t search any
more, I would always kneel down and pray to my Heavenly Father in the name of
His Son Jesus Christ and there I finally found the true peace I so desperately
needed.
Because I know each individual and each trial is different,
I would like to offer you four different ways to find peace in Jesus Christ.
These come from the "Pattern for Peace" that Bishop Waddell offers and from my own
experiences in searching for peace. All of them point directly back to Jesus
Christ. I have found that 1) praying in the name of Jesus Christ, 2) attending the
temple where all teaching points to Christ, 3) studying words of ancient and
modern prophets who speak the words of Christ, and 4) asking for and receiving
Priesthood blessings, which is the power of God, the same Priesthood that
Christ gave to his apostles who then restored it to the earth through Joseph
Smith, are the four main ways that I have found true and lasting peace.
The Bible dictionary says under the topic of Prayer that
“Prayer is the act by which the will of the Father and the will of the child
are brought into correspondence with each other.” It is hard to give up what we
want for what He has planned sometimes. But Proverbs 3:5-6 says: “Trust in the
Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy
ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths.” Whenever I am able to give up what I want and accept His
will in prayer, I find that nothing else matters and I again feel peace. I find
that that peace helps me to trust in the Lord and let him direct my paths. I
remember being newly married and trying to figure out where to spend the 4th
of July, with my family or with Danny’s. This silly decision seemed so
important to each of us, and we ended up arguing. The contention that came with stubbornly
holding onto what I selfishly wanted made me feel sick inside. In our small
apartment there wasn’t much room to be alone, so I ended up hiding in the
closet and praying. As I prayed I started out by complaining, but I felt as I
prayed that His will would not be for me to argue with Danny. I gradually let
my heart change to align with His will. I realized I didn’t care so much about
what we ended up doing, but I wanted peace and love to come back into our home
and our relationship. I gave up my will for the will of the father and said I
was sorry and that I only wanted to be friends again. Danny did the same and we
somehow compromised so that we had a great holiday. When we give up our will through
prayer to the Father we can find peace.
Another way to find peace that seems to always work for me
is to attend the temple and ponder, pray, and meditate inside its walls. President
Thomas S. Monson has taught: “The world can be a challenging and difficult
place in which to live. … As you and I go to the holy houses of God, as we
remember the covenants we make within, we will be more able to bear every trial
and to overcome each temptation. In this sacred sanctuary we will find peace.”7
That’s a promise from a prophet. "In this sacred sanctuary (in the temple) we will find peace!" I have attended the temple a few times
since Sadie died. Each time I have found specific, personal revelation or
answers that have brought me a tiny peak into God’s plan for her and for me and
have also brought me tremendous peace. The temple is an incredible place. I
often feel like Heavenly Father is just waiting for me to come to His house so
that he can whisper the next little answer to my heart that will help me on the
next step in my journey on earth. The temple is a sanctuary where we can escape
the trials of this earth and find peace in Christ.
Studying the words of ancient prophets in the scriptures and
words of modern prophets in General Conference talks can also bring great
peace. In the introduction of the Book of Mormon it even says that the Book of
Mormon “puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation,
and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal
salvation in the life to come.”-Book of Mormon intro. Whenever I am making a big decision
or searching for answers in life I search out these words and have found much
guidance and peace in them. I have a whole list of favorite scriptures that
have brought me peace at one point or another in my life. I can’t read them all
to you, because it would take too much time, but I encourage each of you to
make your own list of favorite, peace bringing scriptures or quotes from the
prophets. Keep the list in your scriptures or in your phone so that when you
are having a bad day or desperately need peace you can open one of these and
read it to speak peace to your soul. If you memorize one or two you’ll be even
better off, as you can recite it in your mind any time you need that extra
measure of peace. Many of you probably already do this. The words of prophets
can bring direction and peace because they speak the words of Christ.
(Not included in my talk because I didn't have time: When Sadie died I searched out medical journals, support groups, stories of other children born still and other grieving mothers, and read a few books about stillbirth and grief. I think the grieving process for me has been a lot of searching, processing, and bit by bit understanding and acceptance. But I didn't only search out these secular sources. I searched extensively on lds.org and in the gospel library for references to stillborn, stillbirth, baby, angels, mourning, grief, Job, trials, atonement, and anything else I could think of to find answers that would bring peace to my heart. I studied and prayed. Studied and prayed. This was a time for me of processing, grieving, searching, and praying that brought me bit by bit to a place of peace. When I talk about finding peace through prayer and scripture study and the power of the atonement, it's not just a nice idea, it literally works.)
The last way to find peace that I want to talk about is
receiving priesthood blessings. My first year of college I was feeling
overwhelmed and depressed. It was around November, and I just couldn’t seem to
find peace or happiness in my life. I couldn’t seem to adjust. I asked a friend
who held the Meclhizedek Priesthood if he and his roommate would give me a
blessing. For some reason, this friend had his roommate give me the blessing. I
was so glad he did. This roommate didn’t know me very well, yet he spoke the
words of comfort and peace I needed to hear. More importantly, I felt Heavenly
Father’s love through the blessing, and I was able to carry on and make it
through that year. Every time I receive a priesthood blessing, even just to be
set apart for a calling, I feel comfort, peace, and an added direction to my
life. Priesthood blessings can indeed bring peace.
When other sources cease
to make us whole, where can we turn? To Jesus Christ, the Prince of Peace, and
the peace that His Atonement can bring. We can turn to Him through praying to
Heavenly Father in His name, by attending the temple to learn of Him, by
studying the scriptures and conference talks to listen to His words, and by
asking for Priesthood blessings, which was the same power He held. In John
16:33 Jesus said, “These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might
have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I
have overcome the world.” Peace may not
come immediately. Over the past year I have spent a lot of time searching for
peace, and there are some days I still don’t have it. Some trials are never
taken away, some pain never ceases, some sorrows we must learn to live with. Alma
34:41 says "But that ye have patience, and bear with those afflictions,
with a firm hope that ye shall one day rest from all your afflictions."
We
can find peace to our soul in this life, but even if our trials never cease
here, we are also promised that one day we will have complete and lasting
peace, with no more afflictions, in the world to come.
I bear my testimony that because Jesus Christ atoned for us and
died for us we can find peace in this world and eternal life in the world to
come. In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment