Relief Society has really been a source of strength and inspiration for me lately. A lesson shared a few months ago by Sister Peters has stuck with me. She was talking about "Standing strong in holy places" or something close to that, and she spent a lot of time helping us think about the differences among "standing, sitting, and lying down" in the gospel.
"Lying down" at church might look like this for me: Skipping every other Sunday with the excuse that I have a baby, coming in late every time and sitting in the foyer with the excuse that I have a baby, not listening, talking through the lessons, rejoicing that I can't fast since I'm breastfeeding, etc. ...I think I've thought of doing every single one of these, if I haven't done them...I've gotta be careful not to lie down at church!
"Sitting" at church might look like this for me: Taking the baby out in the hall multiple times when it's not necessary, listening to the lessons but not participating, giving up on going to Relief Society because baby won't cooperate...and not even trying to listen in the room next door that has speakers broadcasting the lesson, coming faithfully every week but not really getting much out of church, not trying to connect with my fellow ward members and focusing only on my baby and me. Sometimes I do sit at church, but I am trying not to.
"Standing" at church looks like this for me: Preparing ahead of time by going to bed early and bringing baby toys to keep baby busy, staying in Sacrament meeting as long as possible before having to take baby out to be fed---and then coming right back instead of hanging out in the foyer for fun, listening to the talks as much as I can with a baby, turning on the speakers in the mothers' lounge so I can listen in there, greeting fellow ward members and helping them with children as much as I can, trying to attend all the meetings, even with a baby that needs to be fed and needs a nap (so hard! but at least trying is "standing" for me!), raising my hand to give a comment in class, staying the whole time even though sometimes I feel like it's no use since I'm walking a fussy baby around in the halls instead of sitting in class.
Standing, sitting, and lying down might look different for you. I think it's a very personal thing between us and the Lord as to what our very best really is. I could use my child as an excuse (and of course I have), but there are times that the "excuse" is very valid and my mommy duties are the most Christlike and best thing I could be doing---even if it means I miss a lesson at church.
I liked this lesson as a reminder to do my best, whatever my circumstances, but also as a reminder that I can do different things to "stand" at church. I used to feel kind of guilty that the baby wouldn't let me stay the whole time in any of the meetings, but now I feel good that I am at least trying to go to class, that I don't give up and go home, and that I am teaching my child at the youngest age possible that going to church is important.
This is a great post for me to read. I've been trying to do better at church. It can be exhausting, but I think it's still worth it to make the effort to get as much as I can out of it.
ReplyDeleteYeah...Sundays are the hardest with a baby! I'm still working on it too.
ReplyDelete