I was sick yesterday. I am so blessed to have parents who live nearby who took my baby for 3 hours so that I could rest and sleep and get better. I am so grateful for my husband who picked up every phone call I made to him within the first two rings while he was at work and sympathized with how awful I was feeling. He also picked up dinner and the baby when he got home, so I didn't have to worry about it. Then, he found a movie online for us to watch together, and he helped put the baby to bed so that I could relax.
I am too hard on my husband, and that's something I really need to work on. Since he was so good to me yesterday (and everyday), I am trying today to think of some things I could do that would make him happy and help him. I am making it my goal today to do these things for him:
- Clean up the house a little
- Take a shower and look pretty when he gets home
- Take care of baby so he can study
- Make a treasure hunt for him (because he likes those)
- Not complain at all to him today
- Not spend any money today
- Make him a lunch tonight for work tomorrow
I'll let you know how it goes.
And now! Question: How do busy people with babies have weekly date nights?
I confess that I get offended when I hear how awesome other people are at date nights. Lame huh? We just haven't figured it out. I just get so out of control that it never works. I know it's because of ME that it doesn't work. I get anxious when I see lists of date night ideas. I start to plan things, and then I remember we have no time or money right now to do elaborate second-honeymoon dates. When we finally do have a date night, I sometimes ruin it by getting upset that it wasn't as wonderful as I had hoped. "Oh man! We only spent time together, we didn't have the most romantic night of our lives! Fail!" I'm embarrassed to even admit that I do that. I hope I'm not the only one...
But really, how do people have these mystical weekly date nights?
I'm coming to realize that it's not practical for me to expect them. It's not healthy for me to pressure my husband for them. It's not wise for me to put so much emphasis on them when they happen. It's just not a good thing for me to think about.
So. Weekly date nights be gone! Here's to taking any time we can get together and loving whatever we do with it! I'm trying to change my expectations. It's hard. But I'm trying.
I'll also add one more thing to my to-do list today:
- Appreciate whatever time I have with my husband and do what I can to make it meaningful and happy
No comments:
Post a Comment